Sharing is Caring !
Deadline: November 13, 2016
Paid Internship !
Paid Internship !
Position title: Intern: Research and Outreach GEF STAP
Department/office: ECR, Water and Energy Cluster
Duty station: Washington DC, United States of America
Contract type: Intern
Contract level: Intern
Duration: 4 to 6 months
Application period: 12-Oct-2016 to 13-Nov-2016
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Water and Energy Cluster:
Based in Copenhagen, the UNOPS Water and Energy Cluster provides specialized project management services to partners such as the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Bank. Together with partners, the cluster executes projects that support sustainable development by:
- promoting international cooperation to prevent and reverse environmental degradation of international water systems
- enhancing the resilience of communities and eco-systems to climate change
- lowering emissions by bridging renewable energy solutions
- developing Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions to strengthen climate-resilient development
Background Information - Job-specific:
The Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) is an independent panel of experts which provides strategic and operational advice on science and technological matters to the Governing Council and Secretariat of the Global Environment Facility (GEF). The Panel and Secretariat of STAP are hosted by UN Environment, and based in the North America Office in Washington, DC.
The Secretariat of STAP seeks a suitably qualified candidate with an interest in environmental management, for duration of 4 to 6 months, to contribute to the work of STAP in the following ways:
- Assist the Secretary of STAP, and other Secretariat staff members, with research on issues related to the main focal areas of the GEF (biodiversity, climate change mitigation, climate adaptation, chemicals, land degradation, and international waters). This can include:
- Background research to support preparation of STAP periodic publications, including terms of reference as required;
- Assistance in preparing speaking notes and presentations for the STAP Chair and Panel Members;
- Background research as required in the preparation of project reviews;
- Contribution as necessary in the organization and delivery of STAP workshops and meeting events
- Contribute to preparing/designing updates to the STAP website
- Participate in the development of communication and outreach materials, which demonstrate the work of STAP
- Assist the STAP Secretariat in the preparation of meetings and workshops
- Must have completed a first degree, and be enrolled in a university degree programme such as Masters or Ph.D. (or the equivalent), or have graduated from such studies within one year prior to the application date of the internship.
- Pursuing a degree in the natural or social sciences, with a focus on climate change, environmental management, human interaction with the environment, and including some exposure to human development and environmental impacts in the developing country context
- Demonstrate a strong interest in science, and how science can influence policy
- A good understanding of climate change data, projections, impacts, and adaptation will be considered a strong asset
- Exhibit good analytical and research skills
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively
- Display strong aptitude in computer literacy – experience with qualitative data analysis is considered an asset
- Engender creativity and enthusiasm to work and new experiences
- Proficient in English with knowledge of (an)other language(s) is an asset
- Certification from medical practitioner of medical fitness
Contract type, level and duration:
Contract type: Internship Agreement
Contract level: Internship with a monthly stipend
Contract duration: 4-6 months
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Like & Follow us on